WDW current weather:

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Tonga Toast


Yesterday (August 8, 2012), the Disney Food Blog posted a copy of the recipe for Tonga Toast: a South Pacific take on French toast served at the Polynesian’s Kona Kafe. Well, as luck would have it, I needed a special breakfast recipe for this morning. (My roommate is finishing her job from hell today, and I wanted to make her a congratulatory meal.) I have to admit, I’ve never had the Tonga Toast at the Kona Kafe, so I have no idea how my own version will match up and I won’t try and compare them, as I have nothing to base a comparison on.

Normally, I’m terrible at breakfast foods. I can make a mean omelet, but that’s pretty much it. You hand me pancake mix, they come out dense and tasting decisively not like pancakes. You put me in front of a waffle iron, they all burn or come out with holes in the middle. Despite my dismal past attempts at breakfast time, I thought I would give the Tonga Toast recipe a try. (To get a copy of the recipe, go to the Disney Food Blog. http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/08/08/disney-recipe-tonga-toast-from-kona-cafe-in-disney-world/#more-62918)

Preparation for Tonga Toast was surprisingly very easy. It took maybe 10 minutes and smelled just like snickerdoodle cookies. YUM! The most difficult part of the prep was not letting the bananas fall out of the bread while I was dipping it in the batter or flipping it over in the pan; however, overall, I’d say this recipe was a huge success. There were a couple of really great things that I noticed about this recipe that I’d like to share with you.

1.)   You really do want to cut the bread at 3 inches thick, or thicker. The reason being that the batter seeps into the center of the bread and when you put it in the pan to fry, the outside gets toasty (or crispy, depending on how long you fry it) and the inside stays tender and delicious.
2.)   I didn’t need all of the batter or all of the sugar/cinnamon mixture. You could, probably, cut the batter in half and the sugar/cinnamon mixture by a little bit and still have more than enough for what you’re doing.
3.)   I used a slightly under-ripe banana. I was worried about how this was going to work when I woke up and the bananas were still not ripe, but it worked great. The flavor sweetened and the texture softened while the banana cooked. Now I’d be afraid that things would get too mushy if I used a ripened banana.
4.)   This meal cost less than $15 to make and can definitely serve 4 people. Especially if you pair it with a protein like sausage, eggs or bacon, this meal is very filling. Maybe not the best breakfast for a hot morning in August, but definitely one that will fuel you for a few hours.

I’d like to thank the Disney Food Blog for posting this recipe. I feel like a budding breakfast pro now that I know how to make this dish. And I’ve decided that the next opportunity I get to have breakfast at the Kona Kafe, I’m going to give the Tonga Toast a try and see how my own stands up in comparison. I’m pretty proud of this culinary venture, so here’s a photo showing today’s delicious breakfast.



Have a Magical Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment